The Blue Jay

Varsity Boys Basketball Extends Win Streak To Three With Win Over Highland Park

AJ Dickerson goes up for a layup at the home basketball game on Friday, February 2.

Owin Carreras, Sports Reporter

The varsity boys basketball team defeated the Highland Park Scots with a score of 70-62 on Friday, February 2, 2018. The win improves the Jays winning streak to three games, their longest streak of the season.

The Blue Jays took the lead 13-11 at 2:30 in the first quarter. The Blue Jays played great defense throughout the first quarter, allowing limited scoring in the paint.  The first quarter ended, 13-13.

The Blue Jays scored first in the second quarter at 7:03. They entered halftime with a two-point lead, 32-30. The Jays offense picked up in the second quarter finding success in the paint. Highland Park eventually cut the lead down to two because of sloppy defensive play on the Jays side.

The Blue Jays continued to hold onto their lead and were up 45-43 at the end of the third quarter. The rest of the period was fast paced with few pauses in the game. As the offense continued to roll, the Jays started to get more shots to fall.

The Blue Jays began to pull away in the fourth quarter. Sloppy defense cuts Jays lead to 56-53 with 3:22 left in the fourth quarter. The Blue Jays were able to pull through with the help of free throws late in the game after Highland Park found themselves in foul trouble.

“It was a fantastic team win, I love coming out and playing with my guys,” junior guard A.J. Dickerson said. “We finally got a winning streak going and it feels amazing.”