Class of 2018 Say Their Goodbyes at Commencement Ceremony

Graduates+of+the+class+of+2018+prepare+to+recieve+their+diplomas+at+the+commecement+ceremony+on+May+19.+

Graduates of the class of 2018 prepare to recieve their diplomas at the commecement ceremony on May 19.

Morgan Deering, Staff Writer

The class of 2018 celebrated their graduation commencement on Saturday, May 19. Due to potentially hazardous weather, the ceremony was moved from outside at Al Simpler Stadium to inside at Shenk Gymnasium.

Principal Melissa Sharp introduced the ceremony, in which she boasted about the graduating class of 329 students who received over 1.4 million dollars in scholarship money. “This is a very special class of students,” Sharp said of the graduates

Following Principal Sharp’s introduction, JCHS coach Trey Walker gave introduced Xavier Cason, the first student speaker. In his speech, Cason stressed the importance of never giving up. “Self-doubt,” Cason said, “is one of the main reasons why people don’t fulfill their dreams.”

Graduating senior Adante Lee spoke to the audience about government teacher Ms. Reina Cruz, who was the class commencement speaker. Ms. Cruz spoke to graduates about her favorite memories with them, ending her speech with “P.S., I love you.”

Senior Paola Noriega stated that Lee’s introductory speech for Ms. Cruz was her favorite speech of the evening. “Adante made us feel grateful to have her as our teacher,” Noriega said.

The last student speaker, Leah Ervin, spoke to the graduates about life being like a puzzle. Ervin said that the most challenging part of speaking at graduation was the nerves. “I wanted to somehow influence them and really make what I had to say important,”  she said. “I was definitely nervous about how they would react.”

The graduation ceremony for the class of 2018 may have been the end of their high school careers, but it marked the beginning of the rest of their lives.

“I’m so excited for the next chapter of my life,” Ervin said. “High school was so much fun and I have had amazing experiences and opportunities, but I know my life will only get better!”