Sophomore Jeremiah Nieves Gets Accepted to Fort Hays State KAMS Program

Courtesy of Junction City High School

Sophomore Jerimiah Nieves was accepted into the Fort Hays State University KAMS program.

Kennedy Cox and

On December 1, sophomore Jeremiah Nieves applied to Kansas Academy of Mathematics and Science (KAMS). By the end of that month, Nieves was accepted to the program, thus being recognized as a one of the states best and most brightest high school student’s. As a sophomore, getting accepted to this program is an outstanding accomplishment. This opportunity means that Nieves will be attending Fort Hays State University two years earlier than expected, giving him a head start on his college career.

Nieves first heard about this program from one of his eighth grade teachers and was immediately intrigued.  Nieves was inspired by his “overwhelming love for education,” and said he has “a strong desire to study mathematics.”

“I knew the program would satisfy this desire,” Nieves said.

Since Nieves will be attending college early, he will begin his path to becoming a politician and a lawyer specialized in medical law. “I intend to obtain an undergraduate degree in Pure Mathematics and a minor in Psychology or Political Science. Afterwards, I hope to do a law school and medical school concurrent program. Culminating a total of 10 years of college,” said Nieves.

When Nieves received the news that he had been accepted to KAMS, him and his family were overjoyed. “There were lots of hugs and congratulating. My family was very excited,” Nieves said.  “Personally, I was engulfed with joyfulness and accomplishment. It felt amazing! There was a ton of accomplishment to be felt, and I knew there would be great things to come.”

Nieves recognizes that his acceptance to KAMS is not an opportunity that the average student can obtain. However, Nieves continues to remain humble despite his achievement.

“It feels very accomplishing, and individualizing. Feelings of nervousness or worry do not seem to be present, as I know the program fits me well in terms of my ambitions and mindset. In addition, I am excited and anxious to begin an experience like no other,” said Nieves.

This opportunity means the world to Nieves and he openly expresses his gratitude for his acceptance. This is a goal that Nieves has been working towards for a while and having finally achieving it, he feels that this is just the first step to a successful learning experience.

“This program is the launch pad for my future, since I know it will prepare me for more great accomplishments. The perseverance required to meet the rigorous demands of this program will be the same perseverance needed to reach my educational and career goals. Furthermore, I believe the program will most definitely secure me the skills necessary to execute tasks proficiently in my line of work and in life.”

At a young age, Nieves displays a high level  of maturity and pure intelligence and he is ready to embark this exciting, yet somehow daunting experience.  He acknowledges that this opportunity means a great deal to his career and pursuit of education, and perceives it as a privilege to live in such an environment that perfectly suits his growing need for challenge and learning.

“Many trials will take place in college, the skills I use to overcome them will stick with me in the future. It is known that—at college—one is able to find themselves and develop into who they are as an adult. That shear fact is a huge determining factor for my future.”