PREVIEW: Baseball Prepares for Home Opener

Taryn Tanguay, Staff Writer

Taryn Tanguay
Junior Thane McDaniel anticipates to infield a ball during the Blue and Black scrimmage on Thursday, March 22nd.

With a new head coach and new additions to the varsity roster, the Junction City High School baseball team looks to improve as they prepare for the season home opener on Friday, March 30th  against Emporia High School.

This will be the first year under the direction of the new head coach Pat Stivers.

“My expectations are for this team to win and to learn how to be focused and play smart baseball pitch to pitch,” Stivers said. “If we can do that we will be successful.”

Some of the key returners this season will be Easton Rindt who is a 3-year starter, Thane McDaniel in the infield and on the mound, JoJo Nieves in the infield, Ty Clark at first and on the mound, Ashton Wiegand on the mound and in the outfield, and Dre Addison in the outfield.

“I always look forward to seeing players improve and find more out about their ability,” assistant coach Kenny Talley stated. “Seeing players develop and get better is the best part of coaching.”

Experienced players will be working to help develop the talents of their new teammates.

“I expect a lot of competitiveness out of our team this year. So those being patient and learning the game, along with seniors teaching them the ropes will help tremendously,” said junior Thane McDaniel who has already committed to play Division 1 baseball at the University of Kansas.

As a young team, the players still have a lot to learn.

“We have to take advantage of everything we have. At a young age, they just need to learn from the others, and look up to them.” Senior Patrick Addison said.

Assistant coach Kenny Talley expects the team to compete in every game and grow as players.

“Competing for an opportunity at State is always the end goal but getting better every day and at every opportunity is an important factor for this team.”