5 Things You Should Know Before Going College

Kennedy Cox, Staff Writer

As a high school student, you’re expected to follow a college career-read curriculum, where you prepare for the great beyond. Cornell notes, AP exams, career clusters, the list goes on. But the question is: what is college really like? Do things like test scores matter?  So, I decided to have a one-on-one with an actual college student to get a fresh and honest perspective on what college is really like. Here are 5 things you should now before going to college.

MLA Formatting? What’s that?

Apparently, professors now prefer APA over MLA any day. So when it comes to the formatting department, our dear high school teachers have been lacking. You might want to study up on your APA formats quick.

Class cancellations happen.

Unlike regular high school teachers, professors have free reign to cancel class whenever they want. So if your professor doesn’t feel like teaching that day, then take it as a blessing.

Cornell notes are a thing of the past.

In college, professors are there to teach you the material, not to tell you how to remember the material. That being said, they really don’t care if you use Cornell style or not.

You can literally wear whatever you want.

If professors don’t care about your note taking style, they surely won’t care about what you wear to class. As long as you show up (even if you are in your pajamas) that’s good enough for them.

Take a break from stressing over test scores.

Although it is important to try your best on your ACT and SAT’s, most colleges will give their best best effort to get you admitted. And after you get accepted, they won’t hold that low test score against you. It’s fair game after that.

As long as you keeps these 5 things in mind, then maybe when the time college life rolls around you’ll be better prepared, and perhaps a little less stressed.