MENU

Blue Jays Advance in Playoffs After Thrilling Comeback Victory Against Wichita West

Freshmen Russell Wilkey runs in for a touchdown against the Wichita West Pioneers.

Torrie Simmons

Torrie Simmons

Owin Carreras, Sports Reporter

Junction City Football lives on as they beat Wichita West 28-21 in a close thriller in the first round of the 6A playoffs on October 27th, 2017.

The Blue Jays fought back the whole game and prevailing as the underdogs. The defense stepped up and kept the Jays in the game with multiple turnovers on downs, an interception and multiple turnovers on downs, an interception and ultimately the biggest play of the game, a blocked field goal returned for a 91-yard touchdown by Davante King.

The offense was shaky with a fumble early in the game but the offense came alive in the second half of the game. Rooster Adams ran for a 59-yard touchdown which cut Wichita West’s lead down to one, 21-20. The Blue Jays took the lead 28-21 with 2:16 minutes left in the game.

The Blue Jays advanced to the second round of the playoffs where they will take on the Lawrence Free State Firebirds on November 3rd, 2017. Lawrence Free State is currently ranked as the number one high school football team in Kansas with an undefeated record.