New Teacher Spotlight: Allison Grigsby

Mrs.+Grigsby%2C+geometry+teacher%2C+is+in+her+first+year+at+JCHS.+

Mrs. Grigsby, geometry teacher, is in her first year at JCHS.

Breah Turner, Staff Writer

New teachers are hired every year at JCHS. Allison Grigsby happens to be one of them – specifically a geometry teacher. With this being her first year of teaching at JCHS, we sat down with her and asked some get-to-know-you questions to find out about our new teacher.

Breah Turner: “What made you want to teach at this school specifically?”

Allison Grigsby: “I actually moved here from Kansas city because I’m getting married, and I heard really good things from my fiancé and his family about this school. They liked the school spirit and thought the community was better than Manhattan.”

Breah Turner: “How did you find out that teaching is something that interests you?”

Allison Grigsby: “In high school was when I really felt like I wanted to be a teacher; teaching has always interested me, but helping out students who were like my friends in my math classes and seeing that light bulb go off in their heads is what really got me motivated to try and be a teacher.”

Breah Turner: “So how long have you been teaching?”

Allison Grigsby: “This is my fourth year.”

Breah Turner: “Where have you taught before?”

Allison Grigsby: “I taught in Independence, Missouri and in the Springfield, Missouri area, but that’s about it.”

Breah Turner: “Did you teach math there too?”

Allison Grigsby: “Yep.”

Breah Turner: “Did you teach the same grade?”

Allison Grigsby: “Yeah, I actually taught a lot more juniors than sophomores back there.”

Breah Turner: “Do you think it’s more difficult to teach sophomores or juniors?”

Allison Grigsby: “Sophomores. Juniors generally have more motivation during class to get things done, and I think that’s because they see the goal of college or graduating high school a little bit more clearly.”

Breah Turner: “What are you hobbies and interests?”

Allison Grigsby: “I like to watch Netflix and Redbox. My interests are art; I really like to paint, when I can and have time. And I like biking, exercising, that’s about it.”

Breah Turner: “Where did you graduate college from?”

Allison Grigsby: “Missouri State University.”

Breah Turner: “What was one of your favorite memories from high school?”

Allison Grigsby: “Marching band. This happened my freshman year of marching band, and it probably wasn’t a good memory for the marching band teachers, but it was pretty funny to me. We made it to the finals in our competition one night, but our directors decided not to stay because it was all rainy and cold and they didn’t want us to catch pneumonia. But a lot of the upperclassmen, since it was their last marching band competition, they really wanted to stay so they lined up, got in their uniforms, and were trying to protest, whereas a lot of the lower class-men in my grade just thought it was really funny.”