Curse of The Pep Rally Has Been Broken

Owin Carreras, Sports Reporter

The curse of the pep rally was finally broken as the Junction City Blue Jays defeated Washburn Rural 35-21 on Friday, September 22nd, 2017.

Over the years the Blue Jay Athletics and pep rallies haven’t meshed well. Pep rallies are meant to get the team excited and ready for the game, but recently the pep rallies have been dreaded for the athletes and often seen as a distraction from the game.

On October 7th, 2016, JCHS had a pep rally for the Manhattan game. The fans hyped up the game on social media and television networks. Later that day the Blue Jays ended the game with a heartbreaking loss and a score of 22-27. On January 6th, 2017, another pep rally was conducted for the Blue Jays basketball team. The Blue Jays lost their game to Seaman with a final score of 44-61 and once again the curse of the pep rally had lived on.

Many athletes dislike pep rallies because it’s a distraction from the game and often more pressure is created because there is more anticipation for the team to win that night.

Despite this, the curse was broken due to Friday’s big win and now the football team has hopes to turn the season around. The Blue Jays have made a comeback after starting 0-2. Now they have won two weeks in a row and are hoping for the winning streak to continue.

The Blue Jays take on the Highland Park Scots on Friday, September 29, 2017 at Highland Park High School.