Revised Dress Code Gets Closer To Gender Equality

The+school+dress+code+was+revised+for+the+2017-2018+school+year.+

File Photo

The school dress code was revised for the 2017-2018 school year.

Kennedy Cox, Staff Writer

With a new school year comes new surprises, and a new dress code seems to be the “talk” of the school. Teachers have been ad-dress-ing the new rule during advisory period, discussing how students are now able to wear leggings with the exception that the front and back are covered and shorts that are at a “tasteful” length.

The recently renovated dress code was revised by Junction City’s own student council  in order to acknowledge the students concerns on how they perceived the former dress code to be sexist.

Many students rejoice now that their education is no longer as strongly dictated by the length of his/her shorts.

“I like the fact that it is more inclusive and doesn’t categorize students into one stereotypical body type,” senior Gabby Oquist said.

A.J. Dickerson, a junior provided a male perspective and agreed.

“It was never really a problem for the guys, but I think it’s good. Students don’t have to be sent home all the time. It gives them more freedom. And now, hall monitors don’t have to be put in uncomfortable positions to judge people based on their clothes,” he said.

The positive feedback from the students isn’t surprising – the desire to express themselves is in their jeans.

The staff members also hold positive opinions on the change.

“I think it gives a lot more leeway for body type. Also, I think the fact that this was student led is great,” biology teacher Mrs. Luedders stated.

Teachers seem to be in the students favor and are proud of the Student Council’s ability to make a change at Junction City High and succeed in an outstanding accomplishment.

It is clear professionalism is important to Junction City High, however thanks to the students effort justice has taken the stage with this new dress code, or rather – in the students opinion- comfort.

Maybe Junction City High School really is one step closer to gender equality.