Officer Anthony Timms: Career Interview

Janet Enamorado, Staff Writer

The media can be a cruel place, especially for future police officers. Law enforcement is a tough job that needs to be done. Anthony Timms is a senior of Junction City High School who will be going into law enforcement and he sheds some light on it as a career.

What are your goals for after HS?

After high school, my goals are to start off my law enforcement career by working for the Geary County Sheriff Department, as a corrections officer.

What are your career goals?

Eventually, I would like to be the Captain of Patrol for the Junction City Police Department, as a patrol officer.

How did you know that was what you wanted to do?

Everyone kind of says law enforcement is a tough job. Law enforcement picks you, you don’t pick law enforcement. So I mean, it just grows on you.

Do you intern anywhere? If so, what do you enjoy about it?

I intern for the Junction City Police Department and I enjoy working patrol and working with the patrol officers and having a good working relationship with them.

What do you do enjoy about your future career?

I enjoy working with the community and getting out there and getting to know people and developing positive relationships between the community and law enforcement.

What are the cons of your career?

The cons would possibly be, just the view the public has on law enforcement right now and the negative views that they have and having that negative public and media image.

How do you feel about the coverage police officers get in the media?

I feel like it is one-sided, very one-sided. It doesn’t show the good that we do, it shows the very small percentage of law enforcement officers who either do something wrong and it shows the very dark side of law enforcement that’s not the case everywhere. It projects a bad image on all law enforcement across the country, when law enforcement isn’t.

Do you believe that their image will change in the next few years? How?

I feel like it will change, with better training, not just tactical training or gun safety training. I think it will get better if we had community involvement training and more involvement with the community in general.

What are some of your hobbies?

Some of my hobbies include going on long drives, I like swimming, I like to go sight-seeing and hiking.

Where do you plan on moving to pursue your career?

I could see myself moving to a larger city such as Phoenix, or San Diego or possibly Los Angelos to probably further my career. These cities are bigger and there is more opportunity to move around and kind of keep myself active.

Did you have family or friends who opposed your career choice? If so why?

I do not. I have the full support of my family and friends.

Do you feel you are making the right choice with your career?

I feel like I’m making the best choice at the time for my career. Law enforcement is a field that is never going to go away and it’s a field you can do a lot in. It’s whatever works best for you.

Finally, how do you feel about graduating high school?

I’m pretty excited to graduate high school, and get out and start working, pursuing my career. I plan on traveling a lot. I’m also excited to go to the police academy and it’s the Kansas Law Enforcement Training Center in Hutchinson, Kansas. I’ll be going there after I turn 21 and apply to be a police officer. Between now and then, I will be a corrections officer.

Law enforcement will always be around no matter what. Even in the eye of the public and media, it will stay resistant in being a career choice. Wishing Anthony the best of luck in his law enforcement goals and hopes!