College: Is it worth it?

Rob Terry Jr

Mrs. Coleman

College is like a car. You do not necessarily need it to get through life, but it would certainly make life easier. Colleges are not always easy to get into. You have to work hard to get in and once you do, from that point you must choose to be a determined, organized person who is not going to procrastinate and or settle for average. Some people decide to attend college and get distracted during the process. “I went to go to KU for a year and a half, but I didn’t take school serious. I regret it. I liked going to school, but I just got distracted from my academics, I just wanted to party and live life,” said Mrs. Coleman. College is not always required right after High School. It can be beneficial to take some time away. “If you don’t want to go to college as soon as you graduate it’s ok to take a year off and decide what you want to do with your life,” said Mrs. Coleman.

Emily Blake

For Mrs. Coleman, going to college is past action but for Avid Tutor, Emily Blake, college is a present tense. She never had a dream school in mind because of her parents. “I never had a dream school and when I was younger I always felt like I was going to marry into the military because of always being on base my whole life, so when I did and we came to Kansas, I decided to just start at Barton,” said Mrs. Blake. A very hard important decision for students is where to live while attending school.  “I worked and did my share around the house. I gave them $300 a month,” said Mrs. Blake. For most, college is associated with debt, which nobody wants to acquire for an education. However, some can find ways to avoid paying these fees. “I used my Step-Dad’s G.I. Bill and I applied for a Pell grant which I got so I haven’t paid a dime for college.” Furthering one’s academic career is not always the right choice for everyone right after High School. Nevertheless, if you plan to take a break and go back, just plan to not take too long of a break. Make sure to have the right motivation to get you back on track. “It is kind of like when people get engage; they said let’s have the wedding in like 2, 3 or 5 years. So it was actually beneficial that I got the G.I. Bill, it helped keep me on track.”

Hannah Wilson

College is current future for the senior class of 2017. For these seniors to come a very hard decision of what they’re going to college to learn. Senior, Hannah Wilson knows exactly what she wants to do. “My accounting class is one of the main reasons why I want to go to K-State. We went on a field trip, and we looked around their new college of business and they have one of the best business program in the state,” Said Hannah. A lot of seniors struggle with the hardest decision of their life, which is deciding exactly where to go to continue academics.  “Ok so I always wanted to go to Stanford, but I realized that wasn’t really for me because of the cost so I decided to stay in-state, I chose K-State because they have the best program for my career,” Said Hannah. A major priority of many seniors is to decide where to live during college. I haven’t entirely decided yet, but I do know I won’t be living on campus because that is way too expensive,” Said Hannah. College is a wonderful opportunity that can provides so many advantages to individuals wanting a career. However, like always with pros there come cons. It just depends on whether you choose to go or not.